ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- As the dust continues to settle the day after initial bids on the Bills were due, we're learning more about who made bids, and one high profile name who reportedly did not.
It's being reported that Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula put in a bid of more than a billion dollars for the Buffalo Bills, making it very likely the team will bring in a record sales price for an NFL team, according to the New York Post.
The Toronto Sun also reports former Sabres owner Tom Golisano did not submit a bid for the Bills before Tuesday's 5 p.m. deadline. Golisano told Time Warner Cable News during an appearance in Irondequoit last month he was committed to keeping the team in Western New York, but he would not go beyond his means to buy the team.
All of the other expected bidders appear to have their paperwork in. A spokesperson for Donald Trump confirms the real estate mogul made a bid. Trump told Fox News Monday that he is very, very unlikely to win, but his spokesman says not to confuse that with an unwillingness to own the team.
Current Sabres owner Terry Pegula and the Toronto-based group fronted by Jon Bon Jovi also appear to have bids in place.
"Fans in our group are both excited and nervous. There seems to be enough local interest in purchasing and keeping the team here that we feel very good about the chances to keep the team," said Matt Sabuda, director of the Buffalo Fan Alliance.
A source told Time Warner Cable News that developer Scott Congel is talking with the Toronto group about becoming a minority owner and building a stadium on land he owns in West Seneca.
A representative of the public accounting firm Mengal Metzger Barr said it is possible Morgan Stanley, who is handling Wilson's estate, will have a recommendation for ownership by the time the NFL owners meet in October.