The Rochester Fire Department evacuated the main building at Strong Hospital after a gas line went out. It happened just before 8 p.m. Friday.
Firefighters say while the gas line was out, the building was without air conditioning. They evacuated the building while Rochester Gas and Electric shut down the main gas line.
The fire department was able to deem the building safe for employees to return, and the auxiliary power was turned on to cool the building down.
The University of Rochester issued a statement about the gas leak, saying:
"The University and local utility crews are now restoring HVAC support in the hospital, which will continue overnight. Because the temperatures are dropping overnight, there is not a temperature or health concern to those in hospital and full HVAC services are expected to be running by early morning. Hospital operations were not affected."